Assistive Technology may be used to support the independence of people living with dementia, reduce the risk of dangerous situations occurring and help maintain a sense of wellbeing.
Assistive Technology for those with dementia ranges from very simple equipment, such as calendar clocks and touch lamps, to high tech solutions such as satellite positioning systems to help find someone who has gotten lost.
What are the benefits of Assistive Technology in dementia care?
Assistive Technology can support an enabling environment by:
- Reducing the risk of accidents in and around the home
- Supporting independence and choice for the person with dementia and those around them
- Reducing premature entry into residential and hospital care
- Reducing the stress for carer’s, improving their quality of life and that of the person with dementia
Is Assistive Technology right for you?
With any form of support or care, there are a number of considerations to make when deciding whether a piece of Assistive Technology is suitable for you.
- Ideally, the person with dementia is involved in the decision making and consents to use the technology.
- It’s vital that cost, accessibility, appropriateness and ease of use are considered.
- The need for familiarity is important, so it’s important to only change the things that need changing.
Assistive Technology Demo Room
The Library Resource Centre and Assistive Technology Room will be undergoing some redevelopment over the next few months, and will be closed from Thursday, 27 June 2019 until advised.
To view Assistive Technology devices, please contact the Independent Living Centre on (08) 9381 0600.
For books and other items already on loan, please return them to the Mary Chester Centre (Day Centre), or to our head office at 55 Walters Drive, Osborne Park.
- 6.00 DORO Handleeasy TV Remote
- 6.01 Colour contrast and dinner sets
- 6.02 Coloured toilet seats
- 6.03 One touch radios
- 6.04 Automatic safety Iron
- 6.06 Universally designed tableware
- 6.07 Coloured door handles
- 6.08 Uccello Kettle – pouring made easy
- 6.09 True doors
- 6.10 Adaptive clothing
- 6.11 Taps
- 6.13 Toilet sensor light
- 6.14 Big Button Phones
- 6.15 KISA Phone
- 6.16 Independent Living Centre
- 6.17 Konnekt Videophone
Prompts and Reminders
- 1.00 Day/night orientation clocks
- 1.01 Orientation clocks
- 1.03 Whiteboards
- 1.04 Orientation signs
- 1.05 Memory joggers
- 1.06 Loc8tor Item finder
- 1.07 Talking clocks and watches
- 1.08 Pill box alarms
- 1.09 Timers and reminders
- 1.10 Carousel automatic medication dispenser
- 1.11 Medication packs
- 1.12 Door mounted organiser’s
- 1.13 Whistle key finder
- 1.14 Ezy Dose Magnifying Tablet Cutter
- 1.15 MemRabel 2 Audio Visual Calendar Reminder Clock
- 1.16 Bluetooth Trackers
- 4.00 Adjustable Tempered Valves
- 4.01 Tunstall Flood Detector
- 4.02 Identification devices
- 4.03 Car battery immobiliser
- 4.04 GPS and monitoring devices
- 4.05 MagiPlug
- 4.06 Cabinet lock
- 4.07 Door alert
- 4.08 Sensor lights
- 4.10 Wireless door monitor
- 4.11 Portable bed or door sensor
- 4.12 Wireless alarm door sensor
- 4.13 Wireless sensor floor mat
- 4.14 Motion Activated Reminders
- 4.15 Vinyl door mural
- 4.16 Key safe
- 4.17 Portable motion detector
- 4.18 LiveLife mobile alarm
- 4.19 Bright light globes
- 4.20 Emergency Medical Information Book
- 4.21 24/7 Response Personal Alarms
- 4.22 Phone Locating Apps
- 4.23 Wander-Alarm
- 4.24 Find-Me carers watch
- 4.25 Blue Phone Telephone
- 4.26 Marmic Meditrak iCare SOS Watch and MT Location Finder
- 4.27 Vigil-Aide Electric/Gas Stove Isolation System
- 4.28 Call Blocker
Sensory and Therapeutic Intervention
- 2.00 Therapeutic Dolls and Pets Guidelines
- 2.01 Art, craft and jigsaws
- 2.02 Life like therapeutic baby dolls
- 2.03 Twiddle sport pup and cat
- 2.04 Interactive pets
- 2.05 Caleb’s baskets
- 2.06 Sensory cushion
- 2.07 Sensory cushion pattern
- 2.08 Activity apron
- 2.09 Creating an activity apron
- 2.10 Soft and comforting bear
- 2.11 Smell and Connect
- 2.12 Portable Light Box
For more information please call us 1300 66 77 88 or email us.