Dementia continues to be the number 1 cause of death for women in Australia, and the second leading cause of death for men. Such a confronting statistic only strengthens our resolve when it comes to delivering the services we do and making the difference we make. Every 6 minutes, another person is diagnosed with dementia in Australia.
Before June 30, you have the opportunity to make a tax-deductible donation towards improving the lives of those living with dementia, their carers and their families. This could be by way of specialist support through our respite houses, assistance in the home, or even slowing progression of the disease through early intervention. Alzheimer’s WA also champions ground-breaking research from some of our most talented minds both here and abroad, as they work towards a cure.
Currently, there are over 44,000 Western Australians living with dementia. While there is currently no cure, your donation will assist those living with dementia in the following ways:
- The dementia journey can be confronting and stressful. Our Adjusting to Change Workshops are for those recently diagnosed with dementia and their loved ones to gain a better understanding of the journey and how to better support others
- Our 1300 66 77 88 customer support and care partner helpline;
- Individual Services – Which assist independence in the homes of those who are living with dementia by providing specialist, person-centred care
- Day Respite Facilities – Our houses in Shenton Park, Mandurah and Albany which provide respite to carers in carrying out their own day-to-day lives while their loved one is cared for in a safe, welcoming environment
- Support Worker Training – Our training College offers Certificate III and IV courses which provide dementia-specific training to our staff as well as building better capability in other aged care providers
- Memory Café’s – Alzheimer’s WA hosts coffee and social gatherings at Café’s throughout Perth known as Memory Café’s. People living with dementia and their carers are able to meet other carers on a similar journey, creating friendships, engaging in enjoyable activities, and sharing stories and advice.
Our mission consists of multiple initiatives which require a strong funding commitment, and our amazing team needs your support. Donating to Alzheimer’s WA is an important way to make a meaningful tax-deductible contribution to a cause you feel passionate about. Together, we will ensure nobody faces dementia alone.