Alzheimer’s WA has an exciting initiative, the Dementia Champions (Community) Program, to assist community organisations to develop staff in the specialised field of dementia care. Its primary aim is to build capacity within the community care sector to support the needs of people living with dementia with an emphasis on the use of a person-centred philosophy.
The Dementia Champions Program assists staff in gaining knowledge, skills, information and materials to support the development of a person-centred approach in community services for people living with dementia who access them.
The program consists of access to specialist dementia training and Alzheimer’s Australia WA’s extensive resources. There are ongoing mentoring and networking opportunities for Dementia Champions as they develop their knowledge and skills and share these with their colleagues.
Places in the program will be limited to ten people per intake, with no more than two staff from each community organisation per intake.
Dementia Champions will be supported by:
- A one day Dementia Champions introduction course for champions and supervisors;
- Fully subsidised access to all Alzheimer’s WA’s dementia education workshops;
- Complimentary attendance at the ‘Care and Cure’ lecture series;
- Complimentary attendance at the Dementia Partnership Project symposium;
- Dementia Champions network meetings and workplace visits and
- Ongoing mentoring and support from the Dementia Champions Co-ordinators
Applications to become a Dementia Champion should be discussed with Senior Managers in community providers, as organisational support for the Dementia Champions role is critical to the success and effectiveness of the role within each organisation.
This is an exciting opportunity to provide leadership in enhancing the ways person-centred support can be offered by community organisations to people with dementia living in the community.
For further information or to apply for entry into the Dementia Champions Program, please contact: Claire Farrar on 1300 66 77 88 or email us.