Today, 21 September, is World Alzheimer’s Day. It is a day when we can stand together to raise awareness and understanding of dementia so no one has to face dementia alone.
This World Alzheimer’s Day we are asking you to donate $10 to help support people living with dementia.
Together we can raise much needed funds that can be used to:
- Support our Friends in Harmony Choir and the musical benefits it offers
- Advocate on behalf of people living with dementia
- Run public awareness campaigns to raise awareness and understanding of dementia
- Assist in the development of dementia friendly communities
- Provide support to carers
While $10 is a small amount to you or I, if we all donate $10 today we could raise $10,000, $20,000 or even $50,000! Because together we can save a lifetime of precious moments.
Will you join with us and make a tax deductible donation of $10 today?
What is dementia?
Dementia is a term used to describe many different types of conditions that affect the brain. Some of the key symptoms include memory loss, confusion and inability to perform everyday activities.
There are over 150 types of dementia. The most common in Australia are Alzheimer’s disease, Vascular dementia, Frontotemporal dementia and Lewy body disease. Dementia typically affects an older demographic, but can also affect younger people. This is called Younger Onset Dementia.
There are 41,149 West Australians with dementia. Without a medical breakthrough, this number is projected to double to 84,161 in the next 20 years.
Together we can save a million “I love you” moments
Approximately 70% of people living with dementia are living in the community. Therefore the community plays an important role in supporting, caring and reducing stigma to help ensure no one faces dementia alone.
How you can you help?
- Make a tax deductible donation to Alzheimer’s WA to help provide care, support and advocacy for Western Australians living with dementia
- Participate in one of our Walk to Remember events in Mandurah on 7 October, Albany on 21 October or Perth on 4 November
- Become a community fundraiser by hosting your own event or fundraising through a sporting challenge
- Join as a member (it’s free!) to stay up-to-date with the latest news and research
- Volunteer your time to help support the cause
- Attend a memory cafe
- Read our 5 tips for connecting with someone living with dementia
Diagnosed with dementia? Don’t face dementia alone
Alzheimer’s WA is by your side to support you on your dementia journey. We offer a range of services to support you including:
- Adjusting to Change program
- Carer support groups
- Day centres
- Friendship clubs and social support groups
- Men’s Shed
- Volunteering program
- Short Stay Respite services
- Family and Friends course
- Financial seminars
- Legal seminars
- Individual services
- NDIS support for people living with dementia who are under 65