Alzheimer’s WA provides a range of services for families and carers of people living with dementia.
- Are ideal for busy families in need of extra support for a parent or loved one living with dementia
- Give you an occasional, or regular break from caring for your loved one
- Provide additional support through a difficult time or crisis
- Give extra support to enable people to remain at home for longer
- Provide opportunity for social connections and a variety of meaningful activities
- Offer an enabling environment, focused on what is important to you
A warm welcome to our house
Alzheimer’s WA recognises that sometimes it’s good for carers to have a break for a variety of reasons.
Our short stay respite service provides an opportunity for carers to have a break whilst the person living with dementia enjoys a few days in our dementia specialist care houses. Each of our houses feature an enabling design, as well as a wide range of activities tailored to the individual.
We are focused on ensuring that a stay at one of our houses enhances wellbeing and provides the best experience for the houseguest.
About the Enabling Household™
Alzheimer’s WA households have been developed using research evidenece to ensure we can maximise the abilities of people with dementia, and enhance their sense of wellbeing.
The households operate much like a normal home, offering cooked meals, plenty of activities, as well as leisure outings.
The private bedrooms can be personalised to help develop a sense of familiarity, and ensure our houseguest is as comfortable as possible.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the short stay respite service you need to be an individual living in the community with dementia.
Where is the service provided?
This service is provided from:
- Mary Chester House, Shenton Park, Perth
- Hawthorn House, Albany
What is the cost of the service?
The service is available through a number of Government subsidised programs including the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). The service can also be purchased utilising funds from your Home Care Package, through the Commonwealth Carelink Respite Centre, or can be self-funded on a private basis.
How do I access the service?
To find out more, please call us on 1300 66 77 88 or email us.