The Dementia Aware Friends Project is a WA state government funded initiative, in which volunteers are trained to become Dementia Aware Friends. The project is part of the WA Dementia Friendly Communities project.
Objectives of the Dementia Aware Friends Project:
- Increase community understanding and awareness of dementia.
- Reduce the stigma associated with dementia.
- Create dementia friendly communities that positively support people living with dementia and their families.
- Inspire change in attitudes towards people with dementia.
- Lifestyle strategies to reduce the risk of dementia
This is achieved through awareness talks to local community groups and organisations and displays at public events and shopping centre’s throughout Perth.
What is a Dementia Aware Friend?
A Dementia Aware Friend is a volunteer who spreads the message to friends, family and members of their community about dementia, how it affects people’s lives and how they can make a positive difference to people living with dementia in their community.
As a Dementia Aware Friend, you will have the opportunity to deliver information on dementia to the community through informal talks, promoting the Memory Van and raising awareness through community events, displays and shows.
Training for the Dementia Aware Friends Project
We provide a free one day training program in Perth that equips the Dementia Aware Friend with all the information, skills and resources they need to speak to the community about dementia.
Key training points include:
- Education on dementia.
- Presentation skills.
- Dementia services and resources that are available.
Dementia Aware Friends will also receive a file which includes a handbook, helpful hints and resources. Ongoing support and guidance will be offered as well as up-to-date news and developments from Alzheimer’s WA.
Who can become a Dementia Aware Friend?
To become a Dementia Aware Friend, you will need to possess:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- An interest in learning about the impact of dementia.
- Enthusiasm and confidence in delivering information and raising awareness in the community.
- To support the philosophy of Alzheimer’s WA.
- To be willing to participate in training.
If you feel you have what it takes to become a Dementia Aware Friend, please call us on 1300 66 77 88.